Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cake Decorating Class

So yesterday I started a series of cake decorating classes by Wilton. Unfortunately in order to take the class that I really wanted to take, they are making me take the basic class :( Now if anyone has seen some of my cakes, I don't need to take the basic class but I figured I might as well since it is a prerequiste. So I get to class and there are about 6 other women in the class and none of them have any prior decorating experience. It was kind of fun to see the other women trying to figure out how to level a cake or put on a crumb coat. It took me back to when I made my first cake. Those days are long gone, but the teacher did manage to surprise with some new techniques. I also found out there is a cake decorating supply store in York that I didn't even know was there. So now I don't have to order so much stuff on the internet. The teacher also taught us how to make buttercream smooth like glass which I was always afraid (why I always use fondant)of using buttercream cause it can look bumpy if you don't know what you are doing.So now I am officially no longer afraid of using buttercream on the outside of my cakes! In other baking news, I am making a cake tomorrow for my aunt's best friend daughter who just came back from Afghanistan. It is going to be great! I am dying the cake turquoise and brown which are the colors she asked for. I am also putting some bows and other things on it. Pictures will be up tomorrow.



BIG NEWS! I have to decided to become an event planner! It seemed to me like a natural progression from what I do now. Plus I will be able to offer my clients more: I can help them plan their wedding and make their cake.

More to come.....

No comments:

Post a Comment